What Are RSS Aggregators and Feed Readers?
RSS Aggregator Definitions
RSS Aggregator = Really Simple Syndication + Aggregator
Definition 1 -
“Software that pulls RSS feeds (URL locations) from the web to the user or a users designated destination (a webpage, browser, mobile device or desktop application).
Definition 2 -
“A feed aggregator…is client software or a Web application which aggregates syndicated web content such as news headlines, blogs, podcasts, and vlogs in a single location for easy viewing…aggregators reduce the time and effort needed to regularly check websites for updates, creating a unique information space or “personal newspaper.” Once subscribed to a feed, an aggregator is able to check for new content at user-determined intervals and retrieve the update.” source
Definition 3 -
“A news aggregator is software that periodically reads a set of news sources, in one of several XML-based formats, finds the new bits, and displays them in reverse-chronological order on a single page.” source
- Feed Readers
- News Readers
- Mobile Readers
- Aggregators or “Gators”
- RSS Aggregators
- Content Aggregator
4 Types of RSS Aggregators
- Web Based - resides on a website or webpage, the classic example of this is Google Reader. You know that it is web based if you must be online & go to a specific URL or webpage in order to see all of the content from websites that you are subscribed to
- Browser Based - resides on or is integrated with you actual web browser (in your Firefox, IE, Chrome, Safari, Flock).
- Desktop Based - a (client) program which resides on your physical computer like other applications you must download & install it locally (on your Windows, Mac, Linex.). For example new email desktop softwar have RSS readers integrated or built in.
- Mobile Based – resides on your cellphone or hand held device & updates instantly via wireless phone networks.
What Do RSS Aggregators Look Like?
1. Web Based (Google Reader)
3. Desktop Based (RSS Owl)
For some examples & suggestion of RSS Aggregators by type check out Zero’s Quadfecta List of RSS Aggregator Software.
Google Reader in Plain English
Sachi & Lee of Common Craft have crafted the following video to help you understand how to use Google Reader. This will also give you a sense of how and why people use RSS Aggregators, the