What is Social Media/Web 2.0? – Part 3
Now that you have a few different definitions and have seen a few videos about Web 2.0 and Social Media I want to delve further into the related terminologies and components.
Social Media Terminologies -
When you start to talk about Web 2.0 and Social Media you will run into a whole slew of terms because people come at it from all different angles. It has a wide variety of uses across organizations, websites and individuals interests because it is so flexible, versatile and people get so creative with it. Let’s get started:
Social Media Synonyms
Web 2.0, New Media, Social Web, Social Computing, Social Software, Social Networking (SN), Rich Internet Applications (RIAs), Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Web Oriented Architecture (WOA).Acronyms
Social Media = SM, SoMe, SN, SS. Web 2.0 = W2, W2.0, Web 2, RIA, SOA.
Terminologies Related to Social Media -
Enterprise 2.0 = Enterprise Social Software, Enterprise Rich Internet Applications (ERIAs). Acronyms = E2, E2.0, SN
Government 2.0 = Government Social Software. Acronyms = G2, G2.0, Gov2.0
Web 3.0? = Cloud Computing?, Semantic Web?, Microformats?*
*The reason here for the ??? marks is that web 3.0 is still not fully mature or completely defined so these related terms for now are not concrete.
Core Components of Social Media
- Aggregators (RSS/Social Networking/Content/Web)
- Browsers as Platforms (Firefox, Chrome, Flock)
- Blogs (WordPress, Blogger, Typepad)
- Forums/Boards (Discussion)
- Idea Systems (TSA’s IdeaFactory, Dell’s Idea Storm, Starbucks)
- Mashups (Composite Applications)
- Microblogs (Twitter, Yammer)
- RSS (Really Simple Syndication)/ATOM
- Podcasts/Vidcasts (Audio, Video Broadcasts)
- Social Bookmarking (Del.icio.us, StumbleUpon)
- Social Networking (LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace)
- Virtual Worlds (Network Virtual Environments)
- Widgets (Desktop or Web)
- Wikis (Wikipedia, Intellipedia)
Web 2.0 Tag Clouds/Visualizations
Here is the original tag cloud/mind map image that was attached to the original Wikipedia Web 2.0 article:
And here is the newer tag cloud that has been added/updated in the past few months:
If you are still are a little lost when it comes to Web 2.0 or Social Media do some independent research on the terms in these tag clouds and see what you come up with. Feel free to comment your findings, links and insights.
3 Part Blog Series on What is Social Media/Web 2.0?
- If you are an expert or veteran do you see any terms or components missing?
- What did you think of the tag clouds, do they make sense?
- If you did some research on the terms what did you find?
- What are your thoughts and insights into web 3.0, cloud computing, and semantic web?
- After digesting this three part series what did you think was the most useful (specific text, images, videos etc)?